Decluttering before you start spring cleaning is one of my favorite ways to make spring cleaning more enjoyable and more efficient. When you don’t have to clean around clutter you are setting yourself up for success! Which is why today I am sharing these 62 things to declutter before spring cleaning starts.
Before we get into the items to declutter out of your home let’s go a bit more into depth about why it’s so important to declutter before you start spring cleaning!
Why is it so important to declutter before spring cleaning even starts?
- It helps you spend less time cleaning! When there is less in your home to clean and put away then you ultimately spend less time cleaning. Psst if you are looking for more tips on how to spend less time cleaning I have a whole video on it here!
- Having a cluttered living space can lead to increased levels of stress. And with people spending so much time at home right now that makes it even more important to have a living space that doesn’t cause stress.
- When you declutter and then donate you can help out others in need by removing items you don’t ever touch and giving them to those in need!
- A clutter free house is also a great time saver. When you spend less time putting things away and also when you spend less time looking for things that are hidden by clutter then you save time in the long run.
- It can save money! One way it saves money is that you have a better inventory of what you own and it stops you from accidentally buying something you already have. Also when you keep your home clutter free you aren’t as likely to buy new clutter items that you won’t actually use. Which can save a lot of money for you and your family!
So now that we have really covered why decluttering is so important let’s get into the things you need to declutter before the holidays. So you can be ready for the the spring time and set yourself and your home up for success!
*** This article may contain affiliate links that I receive a small commission off of. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I always appreciate any support to keep this site running! Thank you!***
62 Things To Declutter Before Spring Cleaning Starts!
How to declutter your home to get it ready to deep clean:
- Receipts- if it’s been more than 90 days or is something you have already used (like groceries) then toss them. You will collect even more receipts with holiday gift shopping so get decluttered before then.
- Cords- if you can’t figure out what they go to, then get rid of them. Make sure to get an organizer for the ones you do decide you want or need to keep.
- Ripped pet toys– especially if you have a pet (like I do!) that will eat the stuffing. You can get them new, not ripped dog toys for the holidays.
- Canned food– time to check the expiration dates that haven’t been checked in a long time!
- Boxes– you really won’t use them for Christmas presents when everything already comes in a box.
- Unusable Tupperware- you don’t need hundreds I promise!
- Outdated technology– there’s no need to have that MP3 player sitting in your junk drawer.
- Rusted jewelry- or any that turn your skin green. If you haven’t worn them this year then declutter them now.
- Bills you paid- no need to hold onto these. But also go digital if you can which is also better for the environment.
- Expired beauty products– it can be bad for your skin/cause infections to use expired products.
- Old tools– nope you don’t need 7 hammers– which was a hard pill for my fiance so swallow!
- Last years calendars and planners – get yourself a planner that you will love this year.
- Dried out pens & markers – grab a piece of paper and check if they are dried out.
- Invitations- if the event already happened then recycle them because wedding season is finally wrapping up.
- Old medical supplies- ankle wrap from an injury 2 years ago? Toss them!
- Cleaning rags- if you have more than you would ever use in a weekend then declutter the ones with holes.
- Clothes with stains or holes– if you can’t save them then declutter them.
- Old catalogs- really any catalogs. An essential thing to declutter during spring cleaning.
- Extra hangers- have old metal ones or ones from stores? You probably will never use them.
- Puzzles- will you ever do the same one again?
- Leftover crafting supplies – and get your remaining crafts organized asap!
- Socks without a match- if you can’t find the match in 2 weeks then throw them out.
- Store tote bags- do you ever really use those free Victorias Secret bags?
- Holiday decor– after every holiday donate any decor that didn’t get put up. So if you didn’t put it up last holidays then you probably won’t this year either so declutter them.
- Board games- if you haven’t played it in a year then declutter it away.
- Hotel toiletries- you probably will never use those tiny shampoos.
- Expired coupons- I love this coupon organizer, makes it easy to know what coupons I have!
- Unused picture frames– if you aren’t using it now you probably won’t ever.
- Extra bedding- especially if there are stains or holes. Make sure to have enough though for any holiday guests you will have.
- Event clothes– any that you wore to a “big event” so you won’t wear them again.
You are about half way there! Remember to not get overwhelmed and to take decluttering one day at a time. Getting some, really any, decluttering done is better than none.
- Sample cosmetics- remember they expire. And aren’t usually helpful.
- Manuals- if you know how to use the item then toss them, plus most manuals can be found online now.
- Unused furniture- if you don’t plan on using then donate.
- Old eye glasses & sunglasses- -especially if they are scratched.
- Outdated/gross cleaning supplies– if you have had some old cleaning supplies in the back of your cabinet it’s probably gone bad.
- Duplicate kitchen items– you don’t need 2 extra microwaves! This is super important to declutter before the holidays if you plan on cooking a lot in the kitchen.
- Books- focus on ones you won’t read again.
- Emails- I have a digital declutter video here to help. And yes, getting digitally decluttered is just as important as other forms of organization!
- Pajamas– if you haven’t worn them in 2 months then donate them.
- Dried up nail polishes- self explanatory.
- Computer games- will anyone really ever play an actual computer game again?!
- Unused winter wear- specifically gloves without a match.
- Old notebooks- chances are you won’t need what is in it.
- Condiments- check expiration dates and think about when anyone used it last.
- Outdated pet treats- they do expire so check them!
- Scarves- only keep ones that you actually wear as the colder weather approaches.
- Mugs- I know no one wants to hear this but declutter your mugs.
- Wall decor– if it hasn’t been put up then donate it.
- Dried up paint/brushes- just toss them.
- Ripped/stained towels- unless you turn them into a rag then donate them to a local animal shelter.
- Fitness equipment– if you haven’t used the thigh crusher 2000 in 5 years then get it out of your house.
- Event t-shirts- any t-shirts from old events/teams/schools etc that you don’t actually wear.
- Rugs/bath mats- if they are shoved in the linen closet then donate them.
- Plates/bowls- any that are chipped then throw them out.
- Hair Styling tools– you only need one of each!
- Slippers- if you have a bunch that you don’t wear (it’s a common issue from getting them as gifts) then donate them.
- Plants– if they are dead (be honest with yourself) then it’s time to say goodbye.
- Recipe books/cards– it’s 2022, time to go digital.
- Tea or coffee beans- the ones you will never drink.
- Outdated information books- computers for dummies 1999 is no longer helpful!
- Perfumes- if you don’t love them or use them then declutter them this spring time.
- Shoes- if they hurt your feet them donate them.
I really hope this list helps to give you the ideas and guidance you need so you can get your home ready for really deep cleaning your home!
Let’s get social!
If you liked this post on 62 Things To Declutter Before Spring Cleaning Starts then you probably (hopefully!) will like these posts too:
- My 7 Totally Essential Rules For Decluttering My Home
- 88 Things To Declutter During Spring Cleaning
- How To Work From Home During The Holidays Tips
- 18 Easy Decluttering Projects: the ultimate declutter challenge
- Target Storage For Under $20: Affordable Home Organizing
- 12 Ways To Relax During The Holidays
Let’s really connect and stay in touch!
Below is a quick form to subscribe to my weekly roundup! It’s just one email a week with my 3 newest posts, email exclusive freebies, weekly finds and favorites, and so much more. I would love to stay in touch moving forward!
You must be logged in to post a comment.