Building good habits is so important to developing daily routines that improve your productivity. But breaking bad habits are just as important! Getting out of inefficient and bad habits can held you turn things around so that you are using your hours in the day to efficiently work towards your goals.
So here is what you need to do to break those habits and live your most productive life.
- Excessive social media time
- We have all fallen down the social media time hole. You jump on Instagram to just check for a couple new posts for a minute and suddenly it’s 2 hours later and you are on a friend of a friends ex-boyfriend’s sisters Instagram. I am far from saying don’t go on social media… I am saying to watch how much time you are spending on it!
- Spending hours on social media isn’t a productive use of time. Instead, use social media as your breaks from being productive to reward yourself. Social media can be awesome for growing your business, staying connected, etc. but don’t let it control your entire day.
- Not making daily to-do lists
- For a complete guide on making daily to do lists check this out: How to Make an “Every Day Goals” List. Daily to-do lists allow you to see everything you need to accomplish that day in one place. It also allows you to make sure that you are prioritizing what needs to get done each day.
- A poor before bed routine
- The time before bed is so important to the success of your next day. Figure out what is the most important for you to accomplish. For me it’s important to plan out my outfit for the next day, do a quick clean up of the house, and do my full skin/hair care routine.
- Everyone has different priorities but figuring out what those are and making and STICKING to that routine will help you get into positive habits that lead to increased productivity.
- Not using a planner/schedule
- I swear by the importance of using a planner or a digital calendar. (You gotta actually use it though! To read on why your planner isn’t working for you click here). Planners are so helpful for not forgetting things that you need to do and helping you set daily habits that will increase how efficiently you use your time. Planners are what you make of them and if you take time each week to plan out your week it can ensure you don’t run into chaos that can make you quickly lose your entire day.
- Saying yes to everything
- This is more of a big picture habit but if you are guilty of it you are going to need to stop if you want to use your days to accomplish your goals. It’s so easy to say yes to things when they are initially asked but then when the time comes and it’s your day off and you have to spend it working towards OTHER people’s goals you will be kicking yourself.
- It takes time but learning what is truly important to you and what isn’t will help you regain your own time and establish a habit of prioritizing what is the most important to you.
My best advice would be to take a long look at how you spend your time and how you could be better utilizing the 24 hours you get every day. Figure out what bad habits are impacting you the most and kick them in the butt!